HISTORY OF A. S. COLE SON & CO.
In 1858 Alexander S. Cole became the owner of a furniture maker company that supplied caskets to the residents of Cranbury. When young Alexander acquired the business, he began to offer additional services to the families, and it soon became known that A. S. Cole was the undertaker for Cranbury residents. Years later, Alexander's son, William S. joined his father to improve the range of services and at the turn of the century, the firm became known as A. S. Cole Son & Co. At that same time, Isaac C. Hoffman, Alexander's son-in-law joined the firm.
Serving as both a furniture and funeral establishment for many years, the firm phased out the furniture aspects of the business in 1937 under the ownership of William C. Hoffman and Fred L. Hoffman, the sons of Isaac. These two men continued to prosper as A. S. Cole Son & Co. Funeral Directors. Most funerals at that time were held at a family's home, and what few that were not were held at the residence of Mrs. Isaac C. Hoffman, located across from the present funeral home. William C. Hoffman acquired full ownership of the firm in 1951 and perpetuated the tradition of service and excellence established by his grandfather nearly a century before.
In 1973, Mr. Hoffman sold the business to Mahlon M. Thompson. His daughter, Christine A. Thompson joined the firm in 1980. Together, they modernized and expanded the funeral services available to the residents of Cranbury and the surrounding communities of Central New Jersey. In 1991, Mahlon Thompson retired, and A. S. Cole Son & Co. was acquired by W. William Saul owner of Saul Funeral Homes, Inc. a family-owned firm located in Hamilton Square, New Jersey. In June of 1992, Bill and Nancy's children Scott and Kimberly, joined the firm, making them the fourth generation to carry on the family name and tradition.
In 1999, Scott and Kimberly became the owners of the company. As the fourth generation in funeral service, they, along with their staff of 19 full time and over a dozen part time employees, continue the tradition of serving the families in all of the surrounding communities.